Saturday 19 July 2008

Owl-Dragon Concept Sketches

I've been playing around with some character design sketches for Ziggurat - a character belonging to Dieuwertje de Winkel. These vary quite considerably from her own final ideas, but I wanted to see if I could make him work as a character for me in my style. He's a sort of owl/dragon/thing cross, and we both agreed that the Eastern Screech owl had the best face type to use as reference for him.


Photobucket


Getting Ziggy's expressions right were my most important concern - he's a comical character, and so it is very necessary for facial expression and movement to be possible and easy. I picked three of his most key expressions (happy, miffed and scared/surprised).

Photobucket


I chose to elaborate on two of the expressions, and drew concepts for his body posture for them as well.

Photobucket

This Ziggy I think looks more fierce than scared, so the posture might need changing for that particular expression.


Photobucket


I am using Ziggy in a poster design at the moment, and he will be alongside many other fantasy characters, all reading books. I'm still deciding what his 'book reading position' will be.



---Aniiksa---

2 comments:

Kas D Lily said...

... I want one. Really, really bad.

WeyrCat said...

I love this reading post image!